Meaning of “Dog Days of Summer“:
- The hottest days of the summer season.
Usage of “Dog Days of Summer“:
- Jack and JoAnn Graham of far northwest Oklahoma City remember those triple-digit dog days of summer last year. They are gearing up for the dry heat to … (news9.com KWTV – April 4, 2012).
- As the sun beams down, most know we’re nowhere close to being in the dog days of summer yet. But inside Riverview Kansas Myra Dreifus Day School … (WREG – Mar 27, 2012).
- Just in time for the dog days of summer, Annapolis SmokeHouse, a high-end barbecue restaurant, plans to open in late June or early July. (Patch.com – Mar 30, 2012).
Origin of “Dog Days of Summer“:
- Dog Days is the name for the most sultry period of summer, from about July 3 to Aug. 11. Named in early times by observers in countries bordering the Mediterranean, the period was reckoned as extending from 20 days before to 20 days after the conjunction of Sirius (the dog star) and the sun.
- In the latitude of the Mediterranean region this period coincided with hot days that were plagued with disease and discomfort. The time of conjunction varies with difference in latitude, and because of the precession of the equinoxes it changes gradually over long periods in all latitudes.